Random Thoughts of Epic Proportions

Random Thoughts of Epic Proportions

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Quality Alone

My spousal unit had a consulting job out of town overnight. I had some much-needed time alone. What did I do with it? I spent yesterday reorganizing my side of the closet. I know, right? Such adventures! Such tomfoolery! Such a gay, mapcap thing to do! I know, I know. It's almost too much, even for me. 

I got rid of three black trash bags, mostly full, of stuff and you really can't tell. It made me realize I don't need any more clothes, probably ever. But I can't stop thinking about a couple of things I saw while I was out with a friend Tuesday afternoon. And that's how it continues. The new things are always, always, better than the stuff I already have. I'm not sure exactly at what point the new things turn to crapbut I know they do. I can stand in there, looking for something to wear, and find nothing I'd ever want to be caught dead in, even if there's something new, still with tags, hanging in front of me. I am going to go through it again sort of using Marie Kondo's idea of "sparking joy." She writes you should have nothing in your house that doesn't "spark joy." Which is all well and good, but some things can't spark joy but you need them anyway. Things like yoga pants, tank tops, and socks, for example. How much joy can you get from workout socks? I did eliminate stuff I liked but didn't fit (keeping it until it does fit doesn't work, especially if it's currently too large---I'm not going back), and things that had stains that I'd wear around the house to do scut work in. 

Shopping is like eating for me. I really, really have to work at not doing as much as I want to of either. I could eat myself up to looking like a stuffed tick and could shop myself in to the poorhouse, so budgeting and calorie-counting work. Well, the calorie-counting does when I actually do it, as does the budget. But I'm being pretty strict now. You know, except for those two or three things I saw Tuesday. I'm trying to hold out until they go on sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment